A blog about U.S. immigration matters by Paul Szeto, a former INS attorney and an experienced immigration attorney and counsel. Contact Info: 732-632-9888, http://www.1visa1.com/ (All information is not legal advice and is subject to change without prior notice.)

Monday, August 31, 2015

Who can pay the $165 Immigrant "Green Card" Fee?

New immigrants to America must pay an Immigrant Fee of $165, which is used to process their immigrant visa packet (to bring to the U.S.) and to produce the green card. For a while, USCIS only allowed the immigrant (and nobody else) to pay for this fee online.  It created inconvenience for those immigrants who don't know English well or those who are not technologically savvy enough to navigate the USCIS electronic system. 

Here is the good news - As of August 31, 2015, other individuals such as attorneys, family members, employers, friends, etc., can pay the fee for the immigrant, as long as they have the alien registration number and the State Department case number.  This is certainly good news for new immigrants who can now ask their attorneys or friends to pay the Immigrant Fee before they even arrive in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment