A blog about U.S. immigration matters by Paul Szeto, a former INS attorney and an experienced immigration attorney and counsel. Contact Info: 732-632-9888, http://www.1visa1.com/ (All information is not legal advice and is subject to change without prior notice.)

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Applicants Must Use New I-765 Form Starting December 4, 2017

Foreign nationals are reminded to use the new I-765 form, “Application for Employment Authorization," starting December 4, 2017.  The revised form, released in October by USCIS, allows applicants to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or a replacement SSN card without visiting a Social Security Administration (SSA) office.  Only the new form will be accepted starting December 4, 2017. 

The Form I-765 is to apply for permission to work in the United States.  Unauthorized employment is illegal and violates the U.S. immigration laws.  The I-765 form can normally be filed with the I-485 application for adjustment of status to obtain work authorization.  Other applicants such as international students in F-1 visa status may also use the I-765 to apply for authorization to work off campus or to work under the optional practical training (OPT) or the science, technology, engineering and mathematics OPT extension (STEM OPT).  It can also be used by M-1 international students to apply for practical training.

No comments:

Post a Comment